Today I've started reading The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I heard about Randy on Oprah's Lifeclass for the first time. She was talking about this book and used some quotes from the book in her class about dreaming big. I'm still at the beginning of this book but it's made me think about a lot of things already.
I really liked his story about his football coach from his childhood, he said in the book: " When you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you anymore, that means they've given up on you." When you see yourself doing something badly and nobody's bothering to tell you anymore, that's a bad place to be. You may not want to hear it, but your critics are often the ones telling you they still love you and care about you, and want to make you better.
This is so true! We use this with our children. We support them in everything but we want and try to make sure they get it right the next time and learn from their own mistakes.
I will be definitely ordering this book for myself, right now I have it just borrowed from the library. You can also watch his "Last Lecture" online.
Wow Gabi that quote you posted is so true. I will be checking this book out too, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteDon't finish it on the bus or train - I guarantee tears.
ReplyDeleteIt is a great book :)
I want to much to read this book! I've never read this quote before, but when my parents tell me what mistakes I am doing, I think about this. They do it because they care about me and I am thankful for it, and I am also thankful for having them.
ReplyDeleteYour parents are wise and I'm sure they love you more than anything, Erica.
ReplyDelete