Both our kids are afraid of water. They love to go to the swimming pool and having fun in the water but they don't like to get water on their heads or faces. Ivo and I tried to explain them that it is necessary to learn how to swim and get over the fear of water but it didn't help. So we decided to put Patrik into swimming lessons.
His first lesson was on Tuesday. The trainer told all the kids to dive in at the very beginning of the lesson and I immediately knew that it's going to be the critical moment for Patrik. He dived in once and after the second dive he started to cry and he was done. I knew there is nothing that could change his mind to continue. So we left the lesson early. The lifeguard recommended me to come with him the next day and practice in the water plus to take a private lesson.
On Wednesday just me and him went to the swimming pool together. I showed him how to blow bubbles in the water, I dived in and showed him how to breath under the water. He slowly started to cooperate. Once he found out what he was doing wrong before and what was causing him getting water into his nose and mouth he started to enjoy it a little bit. And we started to count seconds how long he is able to stay under the water. He made it to 8 and was so proud of himself. And so was I!
Yesterday he had one private lesson with an instructor before his second class with other children. The instructor showed Patrik what to do and I was so surprised when I saw a smile on Patrik's face while diving into the water over and over again. He did such amazing job and I couldn't be more proud of him. Just in two days he was able to go from the total fear of water into diving and smiling.
After the private lesson he had 30 minutes break and then he went bravely into his second swimming lesson with other children and enjoyed the whole 30 minutes in the water. I was really proud of him!
So one kid is getting better in water, soon it will be Katrin's turn...
Yay! Way to go Patrik!
ReplyDeleteHooray for Patrik! What a remarkable turnaround.
ReplyDeleteWooHoo Patrik, awesome job!! It takes time and patience but in due time he'll be a fish!
ReplyDeleteWay to go to your brave boy! And to his brave mom who took all the steps to help him conquer his fear.
ReplyDeleteThank you, girls! I hope he will continue in his bravery next week as well ;)
ReplyDeleteThat is AWESOME, Gabi....tell Patrik congrats. My mom has always had a fear of water so I was determined to make sure my kids weren't fearful. Good for you and Patrik....so exciting for him!
ReplyDelete