Apr 21, 2011

the season of second chances

Yesterday while I was waiting for my appointment, I finally finished a book I'd been reading for several days. It's called The Season of Second Chances by Diane Meier.

Here is a review of the book I found at goodreads:
A house in Amherst, Massachusetts, is being reborn. Wallpaper samples and paint chips, fabric memos and bits of molding form a magpie's nest around an off-beat, brilliant, emotionally arrested handyman, who seems to know, as if by wizardry, how to bring the crumbling wreck of a Victorian back to life. At the center of this house stands Joy Harkness. An irascible, smart, sharply funny, guarded college professor of a certain age, she has, at the pinnacle of her career, made a move so uncharacteristic of her insulated nature, that she wonders whether leaving her position at Columbia, moving from New York City to a small college town, and buying a house so utterly unsuited to her talents and her temperament are symptoms of a breakdown." Pursued by the campus's middle-aged lotharios, besieged by colleagues who insist on the intrusion of friendship, and cornered by the town handyman, Teddy Hennessy, as he oversees her renovation, shares makeshift meals, and imparts creative and practical wisdom on how houses become homes, Joy begins to see that everyone's life might be improved by a little restoration.

Lately I haven't had too much time for reading so this book has been only my second one I read this year. I really enjoyed the story and recommend this book to you. The next book on my to-read list is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer& Annie Barrows. I hope to finish it on time so I won't be unprepared for our book club meeting next month.

2 comments:

  1. I'll put that one on my book wish list, Gabi...thanks for sharing. I read the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society a while ago...it is pretty good too.

    Have a great weekend, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter weekend to you too, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete