Mar 30, 2013

my first try | Czech traditional meal

We don't watch too much tv but when we do, the Food channel is on a lot.  We love to explore in the kitchen and try new meals. Lately we saw a lot of meals prepared from a duck so Ivo decided to buy one and try it. He came up with the idea of preparing a traditional Czech meal (roasted pork with bread dumplings and cabbage) but with a little twist - making a roasted duck instead of pork. We both grew up on this meal but to be honest, I don't miss it too much - it's quite heavy. But we decided to make it anyway and introduce a little bit of Czech tradition to our kids. There were a lot of first in the process of preparing this dish. I have never done bread dumplings from scratch, and also the cabbage and duck were my first. I called my grandma yesterday to find out how to make the dumplings and I was so happy how they turned out, they were awesome! They tasted almost the same as we were used to from home (just my mom didn't make it but bought it from store ready to eat).

Of course the little ones were complaining as usual. They always do with new meals. But Ivo was happy. Trying new meals and keeping the traditions? Checked and checked.


No comments:

Post a Comment