This year has been a lot of different from the last one. Not just that we are finally spending more time together as a family (which wasn't possible last year because of the basement finishing) but also I'm going more into myself and finding a balance in my and my family's life.
My family is my everything. Ivo and my two little sweethearts are the most important people in my life no matter what and I will do anything for them to make those three people happy.
We try to live our life healthier lately. Ivo and I love biking, we did a lot of biking way back when we lived in CR. Last year we finally bought bikes here and we share this love for bikes with our kids as well. Patrik loves to go for bike rides (he learned how to use his bike without the small wheels when he was 3.5 years old already). Katrin still enjoys our rides sitting behind me but she's already learned how to pedal by herself so once she will be older and strong enough for longer rides, she will join us on her bike.
Now we are trying to change our eating habits. I cook every day from scratch, we don't buy canned food at all and eat junk food only once a week (sometimes less). I try to make healthy meals but I know that I could do better. A big problem is that our children are very picky. Katrin is okay with veggies, Patrik is terrible in it. Slowly but surely we try to introduce to him new kinds of vegetables but it is always a nightmare. He reacts by making dramas and tantrums but we already know that we can't retreat and he has found out that it will be our way anyway and his screaming won't help from not eating it. So it is just a matter of time.
I brought this book 50 secrets of the world's longest living people by Sally Beare from a library few days ago and Ivo has started to read it. I have to say that he doesn't read books almost at all. To my big surprise after few pages he read that day, he didn't want to drink his everyday afternoon coffee. The next day he didn't make the morning coffee and he prepared a tea for himself instead. He has been always the one, who was making coffee in the morning and was asking me if I want one too (I usually drink only 1 in the afternoon). So this really surprised me and also made me happy that he thinks about his health as well. So now there will be a long journey for us in changing our diet. Our children love sweets but we have decided to decrease the amount of sweets they eat by starting a cookie day which will be Thursday. I put stickers into our calendar so they will recognize which day will be their cookie day. I know it will be hard at the beginning for them but I believe this is only for their best to eat less sugar. When I see some obese little children outside I know I can avoid it with mine. Now I will be reading a lot of books and articles about nutrition for sure :)
Another thing how I try to simplify and finding a balance in my life is cutting off my online life. I've finally realized that if I won't check the forum for day or two, nothing will happen (I'm a CT captain at SA and I know everything will work without me checking in there too). I have an extra time for my children or myself and I feel more free. I try to scrap when I want and when I feel like to and not that I have to and I don't care if my pages are made with the newest stuff available in the digiworld. I do it for myself and my family to document our life. And it makes me happy.
If you have any tips or recommendation for nutrition (books, web site) please let me know via comment and email, I would really appreciate it a lot! Thank you in advance.
Wishing you a great rest of the week.
You could try Patrik on raw vegetables. My children hated salads until I started preparing everything on separate plates allowing them to create there own. When cooking vegetables I don't boil them to bits, which keeps them crunchy. Steaming vegetables is also a wonderful method. Get Patrik involved in the preparation which will create an interest in the food. Congratulations on making these changes.
ReplyDelete